At esmi Skin Minerals, we understand that achieving flawless and healthy skin is a top priority for many individuals. However, there are certain skin concerns that can be particularly tricky to handle.
One such concern is milia, those small bumps that can appear on your skin and be stubborn to remove.
What are milia?
Milia are tiny, white or yellowish bumps that often appear on the face, particularly around the eyes, nose, and cheeks. These bumps form when dead skin cells become trapped beneath the skin's surface, usually due to a clog in the skin caused by skincare products or makeup. Unlike regular pimples or blackheads, milia do not have an opening onto the skin's surface (pore or hair follicle), making them difficult to extract through squeezing.
Causes of milia
Milia can occur due to a variety of factors, including:
- Dead skin cell buildup: When dead skin cells are not properly exfoliated, they can accumulate and lead to the formation of milia.
- Skincare or makeup buildup: Certain skincare products or heavy makeup can clog pores, trapping dead skin cells beneath the surface and causing milia to develop.
- Sun damage: Prolonged sun exposure can lead to skin damage, making it easier for milia to form.
- Injury or trauma: Skin injuries or trauma, such as burns or rashes, can trigger the development of milia.
- Certain skin conditions: Some skin conditions, like rosacea or bullous lichen planus, may contribute to the appearance of milia.
Why you should avoid squeezing milia
As tempting as it may be to try and squeeze or pop milia like you would with a pimple, we highly recommend against it. Since milia do not have an opening on the skin's surface, attempting to extract them yourself can cause redness, inflammation, and even scarring. It's best to leave milia removal to the professionals.
Professional treatment for milia removal
If you're dealing with milia, consider visiting your local beauty salon or clinic to seek the assistance of a professional therapist. They can perform a quick and painless extraction to remove the milia safely. This method ensures minimal risk of damage to your skin and reduces the likelihood of scarring or other complications.
esmi skincare products to help with milia
While milia can be tricky to address with skincare alone, incorporating certain products into your routine can aid in preventing their formation and promoting overall skin health. Here are some esmi Skin Minerals products that may help:
- Detoxifying Exfoliating Charcoal Serum: This serum contains activated charcoal, which can help draw out impurities and excess oil from the skin, potentially reducing the risk of clogged pores and milia.
- Gentle-Foliants: These products are designed to exfoliate the skin gently, promoting healthy skin cell turnover and reducing the buildup of dead skin cells.
- Gentle Refine Cleansing Toner: A gentle toner can help balance the skin's pH and remove any residue that might contribute to clogged pores.
- Hyaluronic Hydrating Serum *preventative: Keeping the skin hydrated can help maintain its health and reduce the likelihood of dead skin cell buildup.
- Detox Hydra-Fluid Moisturiser *preventative: This product aids in maintaining skin hydration and supports the skin's natural detoxification process.
Milia can be a frustrating skin concern, but with the right approach, they can be managed effectively. Remember, avoid trying to remove milia yourself, and instead, opt for professional treatment to ensure safe and efficient extraction. Additionally, incorporate appropriate esmi Skin Minerals products into your skincare routine to prevent new milia from forming and to maintain healthy, radiant skin. With patience and a balanced skincare regimen, you'll be well on your way to smoother, clearer skin.