Red skin, reactive skin and rosacea are frustrating and often embarrassing skin conditions that can be difficult to deal with. For some of these conditions the redness will never fully go away or disappear, so it’s important to equip yourself with knowledge of your skin condition and a simple skin regime to best manage it.
Redness is most commonly found on the cheeks, nose, chin and forehead. It can be associated with flushed skin (blushing easily and for extended amount of time) and broken capillaries (spider web looking veins usually across the nose and cheeks). The more flare ups you have the redder these areas will become, which is why management is so important. You may also experience papules and pustles known as acne rosacea. It’s very important not to treat rosacea with ‘acne clearing ‘ products as it can worsen your condition. Flakey dry and scaly skin can also be a common symptom.
It’s important to choose gentle skincare products as part of a good, regular skincare regime to help reduce redness. This can really make a world of difference, especially during a flare up.
Try to avoid the following:
• Cleansers that leave your skin with that ‘squeaky-clean’ feeling
• Rough and scratchy exfoliants
• Highly perfumed products
• Foundations that don’t allow the skin to breath
• Alcohol in skincare. Ie. witch hazel, toners.
While it’s hard to avoid stress, it can be a major contributor to our skin acting up, especially if you already have underlying skin care issue like rosacea and redness.
Common triggers can also include food (try to avoid anything with spice) and all those naughty activities like drinking (especially wine!), smoking and sun exposure. Make sure you avoid the midday sun and always wear your hat and 50+ SPF!
• Extreme Temperatures
• Spicy food
• Fragrances and alcohol in skincare
• Alcoholic drinks – especially wine
Look for anti-oxidant rich ingredients that will help to strengthen the skin and calming formulations. Rosacea is a form of inflammation in the skin, so choosing product packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients will be key in helping to control redness.
• Anti-oxidant rich ingredients
• Calming products
• Gentle formulations
• Anti-Inflammatory products
• Niacinamide – Repairs and restores skin and helps to fight inflammation.
• Squalane – Prevents moisture loss and boost cell regeneration.
• Allantoin – Soothes and protects the skin. Has the ability to help heal the skin and stimulate the growth of new tissue.
• Hyaluronic Acid – Super hydrating, will attract water to skin cell and allow the skin to hold onto it.
• Caffeine – Constricting effect, which can help improve the look of redness, soothing and antioxidant properties.
• Arnica – Can calm the redness and inflammation associated with rosacea. Increases white blood cell activity to help combat irritation.
Have a look at the makeup you’re wearing and choose a mineral formulation which is not only good for your skin but will also allow it to breath. This will come with zinc, which not only has a sun protection factor, but is anti- fungal and will help with the healing process.
As you can see, there is help out there to deal with red skin and rosacea! By understanding your skin concerns and implementing a good, regular regime you can help to manage and calm your skin to prevent any further damage.
Not sure where to start? Talk to our skin specialist team who will guide you through your FREE personal Skin Care Plan and help you get on top of your skin concerns today. The team at esmi are always here to support you on your skin journey.